Call : 0496 270 1800
Mail : email@example.com
BSc, MBBS, MD, DHA
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
M.Sc., Ph.D. (Medical Pharmacology)
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
M.Sc (Medical Pharmacology) Tutor
The Department of Pharmacology came to existence in the year of 2011. Pharmacology is the
science of drugs which is often confused with pharmacy. Pharmacology is a separate discipline
in the health sciences. Pharmacology is the science of how drugs act on biological systems and
how the body responds to the drug. The study of pharmacology encompasses the sources,
chemical properties, biological effects and therapeutic uses of drugs. Pharmacology has an
important role in pharmaceutical industry where drug discovery and clinical trials are all based
on pharmacological principles.
Pharmacology lies at the heart of biomedical science, linking together chemistry, physiology and pathology. Pharmacologists work closely with a wide variety of other disciplines that make up modern biomedical science, including neuroscience, molecular and cell biology, immunology and cancer biology. Pharmacological knowledge improves the lives of millions of people across the world. It maximizes their benefit and minimizes risk and harm.
a. Discovery of new medicines to help fight diseases
b. Improve the effectiveness of medicines
c. Reduce unwanted side effects of medicines
d. Understand why individuals differ in the way they respond to certain drugs and why some others cause addiction
|Sl. No||Name of the Professor||Time Period/th>|
|1||Dr. R.K. Prasad||2011-13|
|2||Dr. B. Ramesh||2013-15|
|3||Dr. Somashekara S.C||2015-16|
|4||Dr. Sivachandra Raju||2016-17|
|5||Dr. M.R. Laveesh||2017-till date|
The vision of Department is to become a centre of excellence that provides leadership in education, training and research to the students of Pharmacology.
The Department’s mission at the undergraduate level is to contribute in the overall training of the medical house officer, through enriching him with the knowledge, attitudes and skills needed for rational drug prescription, so that he can fit effectively and efficiently, not only into the Kerala health care service system, but also elsewhere
The University results for Pharmacology in second MBBS examination have remained constantly excellent (> 95% pass rate) from the date of inception.
1. Thottol R, Sreelatha M, Narayanan PV. Open label study to assess the safety and efficacy of
cinacalcet in refractory hyperparathyroidism with chronic renal failure. Int J Basic Clin
2. Rao S, Narayanan PV. A Randomised Open Label Comparative Clinical Trial on the Efficacy of Latanoprost and Timolol in Primary Open Angle Glaucoma. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; 10: FC13–5.
3. Jeeja MC, Jayakrishnan T, Narayanan PV, Kumar MV, Thejus T, Anilakumari VP. Folic acid supplementation on homocysteine levels in children taking antiepileptic drugs: A randomized controlled trial. J Pharmacol Pharmacother 2014;5:93-9.
1. Shrinath G, Rajesh N, Laveesh MR. Incidence of early onset hypocalcaemia in newborns
admitted in level III NICU. International Journal of Medical Paediatrics and Oncology
2. Ushanagadevi CS, Beenakumari K, Daniel MK, Laveesh MR. A study on glucose tolerance test in young sputum positive tuberculosis patients. International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research 2016;3:82-8.
3. Vishwaprakash MK, Laveesh MR, Somashekara SC. Evaluation of the anti-inflammatory activity of dipyridamole in acute and chronic experimental models in albino rats. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol. 2016;5:1839-44.
4.Laveesh MR, Vishwaprakash MK, Somashekara SC. Comparative study of problem based learning versus structured group discussion in teaching Pharmacology. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol. 2016;5:1877-80.
5. Beenakumari K, Laveesh MR, Warrier NVU, Parvathi K, Jose Raj MG. Estimation of Adenosine deaminase and proteinase inhibitory activity and their correlation with tuberculous effusion and other pleural effusion cases. International Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Research 2016;3:114-9.
6. Somashekara SC, Deepalaxmi S, Jagannath N, Ramesh B, Laveesh MR, Govindadas D. Retrospective analysis of antibiotic resistance pattern to urinary pathogens in a Tertiary Care Hospital in South India. J Basic Clin Pharma 2014;5:105-8.
7. Laveesh MR, Beenakumari K, Bandyopadhyay M, Ramesh B, Somashekara SC, Raveendran N, Bheemesh V. Prescription audit of antimicrobials in the medicine outpatient department of a tertiary care hospital. Int J Pharm Biomed Res 2013;4,:177- 80.
8. Arikeri SM, Laveesh MR, Priyadarshini AVN, Suja P, Farsana UK, Michael N, Raveendran N. Determination of time since death by estimating sodium and potassium levels in synovial fluid . Int J Pharm Biomed Res 2013;4:194-6.
9. Laveesh R, Bandyopadhyay M, Bagchi C, Tripathi SK. A preliminary assessment of availability and pricing of children’s medicines in government hospitals and private retail pharmacies in a district of Andhra Pradesh. Indian journal of Pharmacology 2012;44:536.
10. Evaluation of oral N-acetylcysteine versus inhaled Fluticasone in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients. 35th Annual Conference of Research Society, B.J. Medical College and Sassoon General Hospitals,Pune. 12-13 Feb,2009, Page no-30. (Abstract Publication)
Brashier B, Laveesh R, Kapoor S , Deshpande PK. Four weeks of treatment with n-acetyl cysteine (NAC) (1200mg/day) reduces lung oxidative stress and improves lung function in moderate-to-severe COPD subjects. 19th European Respiratory Society, September 2009. Page no-343-4 (Abstract Publication)
Biacin Babu. Knowledge, attitude and practice towards fixed dose combination of drugs among practicing medical professionals in a tertiary care hospital. Med ej. 2014
1.Mathai P, Nayak N, Rao M, Nitasha Bhat GM, Vinodraj K, Chandralekha N et al. Comparison
of the efficacy of sitagliptin with pioglitazone on dexamethasone-induced hepatic steatosis,
dyslipidemia, and hyperglycemia in albino rats. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol. 2015;4:60-4.
2.Vinodraj K, Nagendra Nayak IM, Rao JV, Mathai P, Chandralekha N, Nitasha B et al. Comparison of the efficacy of liraglutide with pioglitazone on dexamethasone induced hepatic steatosis, dyslipidemia and hyperglycaemia in albino rats. Indian J Pharmacol. 2015;47:181-4.
3.Nitasha Bhat GM, Nayak N, Vinodraj K, Chandralekha N, Mathai P, Cherian J. Comparison of the efficacy of cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) with pioglitazone on dexamethasoneinduced hepatic steatosis, dyslipidemia, and hyperglycemia in albino rats. J Adv Pharm Technol Res. 2015;6:136-40.
4.Netharakere C, Nayak NIM, Kundapur V, Bhat NGM, Mathai P, Rajesh D et al. Comparison of the efficacy of Clove (Syzygium aromaticum) oil with pioglitazone on dexamethasone induced hepatic steatosis, dyslipidemia and hyperglycemia in albino rats. J Clin Exp Res. 2015;3:169-73.
1. Nidanapu RP, Rajan S, Mahadevan S, Gitanjali B
. Tablet Splitting of Antiepileptic Drugs in
Pediatric Epilepsy: Potential Effect on Plasma Drug Concentrations. Paediatr
2. Nidanapu RP, Tamijarassy B, Mahadevan S, Gitanjali B. Effect of Divided Doses of Adult Solid and Liquid Oral Formulations of Antiepileptic Drugs in the Management of Pediatric Epilepsy. J Pharmacol Pharmacother. 2017;8:54-61.
3. Nidanapu RP, Mahadevan S, Gitanjali B. Influence of CYP2C9, CYP2C19, ABCB1, SCN1A and SCN2A Genetic Polymorphisms on Plasma Drug Levels of First Generation Antiepileptic Drugs in South Indian Epileptic Patients. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring 2018 (Ahead of Print)